They say scars are part of your wound’s natural healing process. When scars form, this means your wound health is good underneath your skin. Unfortunately, you don’t look at it that way. For you, scars are reminder of your past that you want to forget. As a result, you are constantly looking for ways on how to remove scars permanently in the most natural way possible.
Looking at Scars a Little Bit Closer
Before you say hello to scar removal techniques, it is important to get to know what scars are, the different types, and how it forms.
Scars are marks left on your skin as a result of wound, accident or injury. Scarring could happen inside and outside of your body. Scars could appear anywhere in your body, such as your face, arms, legs and abdominal area.
Scars come in various shapes, sizes, and appearance. Below are the different types of scars:
- Acne – If you had severe acne, then this could lead to scarring wherein the appearance could range from wavelike, angular, or deep pits.
- Contracture – This type of scar is a result of burn injury. It may go deeper into your skin and affects the muscles and nerves. As a result, it tightens your skin and restricts your ability to move.
- Hypertrophic –This type of scar is raised, but does not go beyond the boundary of the injury.
- Keloid – This is a result of an overly aggressive healing process that extends beyond the original injury.
- Stretch Marks – This type of scar is a result of tearing of your dermis due to rapid expansion of your skin.
Learn How Scars Form to Prevent Them
When you injure yourself or your skin is wounded, your skin tissues break down, thereby triggering your body to produce more collagen. Collagen is a type of protein that builds up on the damaged tissue to facilitate healing and strengthening of the wound.
As you skin heals, collagen continues to buildup and increases the blood supply to the injured area. You might notice formation of scar on the injured site, which is raised, red and lumpy. Eventually, collagen breaks down at the wounded site, decreases the blood supply and alters the appearance of the scar to make it softer, paler, and smoother.
The Ugly Truth You Should Know About Scars
Here is something you should know about scars: it is a permanent thing. Scars are normal part of the healing process, which means they will never completely go away. Although scars are permanent, there is a possibility that they will fade within two years, but that doesn’t completely erase their appearance.
Nonetheless, this doesn’t mean you have to live through scars forever. The good news is there are scar removal techniques and methods you can do to minimize their appearance or even prevent them from forming and taking over your skin.
Read the succeeding sections to learn about the natural home remedies to get rid of scars.
Silicone Gels or Sheets: Your First Line of Defense Against Scarred Skin
You know that collagen buildup on the injured area could lead to a raised scar, especially on deep cuts or surgical wounds. You can prevent this by applying silicone sheets or gels on the injured area.
Silicone is effective in treating and preventing keloid and hypertrophic scars for a variety of reasons, such as:
- Reducing itching, redness, and discomfort associated with scarring.
- Increasing hydration while reducing collagen production.
- Protecting the scarred tissue from bacteria and other harmful elements.
- Helping your skin to “breathe.”
Silicone sheets are available over-the-counter. Place the sheet over your scar for 12 hours for at least three months to prevent or minimize keloid or hypertrophic scars. Make sure the sheet will stick firmly on your skin, since keeping your wound moist is essential in the healing process.
To increase your chances of having your scar removed, apply Mederma gel on the injured site before covering it with a silicone sheet.
Combine Silicone Sheets with Over-the-Counter or Prescription Creams
It is important to keep your wound moist to facilitate faster healing. Aside from applying scar sheets, scar creams could also help in keeping the wound moist, making it more comfortable for you.
Creams with alphahydroxyacids could also help in removing dead skin cells and minimize the appearance of scars. Make sure you’ll consult your dermatologist before using any scar creams. There are creams sold in the market contain steroids that could cause itching and increased sensitivity on your skin.
If you want to keep it on the safe side, read the next sections to know how to get rid of scarred areas on your skin, plus how to remove stretch marks, too.
Lemon Juice: One of Nature’s Best Gifts to Scar Removal
When it comes to reducing the appearance of scars, lemon will always be part of the list.
You might ask why.
Lemon contains alpha hydroxy acid that comes with healing properties and helps treat scars. The vitamin C content in lemon also aids in repairing and regenerating damaged skin to promote growth of new skin cells. Consequently, lemon has natural bleaching properties that helps lighten the appearance of scars.
How to Use Lemon to Get Rid of Scars
- Extract the juice from one lemon.
- Dab a cotton ball on the lemon juice and apply it on the scarred area.
- Let it stay on your skin for 10 minutes then rinse it with warm water.
- Do this once a day until the scars fade.
If you have sensitive skin, dilute lemon juice with vitamin E oil or rose water in equal amounts then apply on the affected area. If you are wondering about how to remove acne scars, then lemon juice could also help you in that department.
This is just the beginning. Keep reading to learn more about the other methods on how to remove old scars too.
Olive Oil: A Staple Kitchen Ingredient for Your Scars
Olive oil is one of the healthiest oils, making it a staple kitchen ingredient. Its ability to soften and moisturize your skin also makes it a favorite cosmetic product.
Did you know that you can make your scars go away by applying olive oil on your skin? This effective natural scar removal solution is rich in vitamins E and K that helps promote healing of damaged skin. This helps fade your scars quickly and more effectively.
Here’s how to use it:
- Warm olive oil for five to eight minutes.
- Massage the olive oil on your skin in circular motion.
- You can wipe off the olive oil using a damp, clean cloth after 30 minutes or leave it overnight.
You can also add lavender oil for added scent and skin benefits.
Learn How to Remove Scars Using Coconut Oil
Aside from olive oil, here is another type of oil you should have on your kitchen cabinet: coconut oil.
Coconut oil is among the healthiest oils around. If you are looking for natural ways on how to remove scars from your face, then this one could be your best friend, too. This is because coconut oil contains vitamin E, which accelerates healing and prevents scars from forming.
It also contains capric, caprylic, and lauric acids to stimulate the right amount of collagen production and promote healing of your damaged skin.
Just like olive oil, heat coconut oil before applying it on your skin for better absorption. Allow your skin to absorb the nutrients from this tropical oil and do it two to three times daily for best results.
A tip you can try: go for virgin olive oil. It has higher antioxidant content and acidity level, which makes it more effective against scars.
Tea Tree Oil: An Essential Oil Worth Trying to Make Scars Go Away
If there is another type of oil you shouldn’t miss in scar removal, its tea tree oil.
Tea tree oil is an essential oil that is rich in antioxidants and skin healing properties. It also has powerful antibacterial properties that not only manages any skin condition but also reduces blemishes and scars on your skin.
Tea Tree Oil and Water for Scars
- Mix four drops of tea tree oil with two tablespoons of water. Mix well.
- Wash the affected area with this solution two to three times a day.
Tea Tree Oil and Almond Oil for Scars
- Combine two to three drops of tea tree oil with one teaspoon of almond oil.
- Apply on the scarred area and leave it on for 30 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water.
- Do this once everyday.
It is imperative that you dilute tea tree oil with water when using it as a technique on how to remove scars on legs or any part of your skin. Also, tea tree oil must never be ingested.
Honey for Scars: Going Beyond Making Your Life Sweeter
If you are looking for something to sweeten your life while sticking to the healthier side, then raw honey could be your best choice. Did you know that this ingredient could help you get rid of scars, too?
Honey, particularly the raw version, is a natural moisturizer and prevents dead skin cells from accumulating. It is also an effective scar removal treatment because of its ability to stimulate skin regeneration.
Here are various ways you can use honey against scars:
- Apply honey on the scar, cover it with bandage, and leave it on overnight. Wash the area with warm water first thing in the morning.
- Mix raw honey and crystallized sugar in equal parts. Scrub it gently on your skin for five minutes before washing it with warm water. Don’t forget your moisturizer.
- Combine two tablespoons each of raw honey and baking soda. Massage it on scarred area for three minutes then place a washcloth on top of it until the washcloth has cooled.
Aloe Vera: A Superb Herb Against Scars
Aside from lemon, aloe vera is another favorite home remedy when it comes to making your scars fade. This natural scar removal remedy has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce inflammation. It is also a natural emollient that repairs your damaged skin and gets rid of dead skin cells to promote healthy skin. Aloe vera improves your skin texture, too.
Here’s how you can enjoy its benefits:
- Scoop the gel-like substance from aloe vera leaf.
- Apply the gel on your scars and gently massage it in circular motion.
- Let it stay on your skin for 30 minutes before washing it with cool water.
- For best results, do this twice daily.
A piece of advice: do not apply this herb on your open wound.
Do you still have room for more? Check out the other methods you can do on how to remove scars using home remedies.
Never Mind the Smell: Using Apple Cider Vinegar to Remove Scars
Apple cider vinegar or ACV comes with tons of skin and health benefits, including removing scars. In fact, the acidic nature of ACV exfoliates your skin and removes dead skin cells. This encourages new and healthy skin cells to grow and take over the surface of your skin.
That’s not all. Apple cider vinegar balances the pH level of your skin to maintain a healthy skin texture.
ACV for Scars
- Mix equal amounts of apple cider vinegar and water.
- Dip a cotton ball and apply on the scarred area.
- Let it stay for five minutes before rinsing with water.
- Do this once a day.
Apply Indian Gooseberry before Scars Form Immediately
Vitamin C is an important component not only in removing scars but also to keep your skin healthy. Aside from lemon, here is another ingredient that is rich in vitamin C and helpful against scars: Indian gooseberry.
Known as “amla,” Indian gooseberry is rich in vitamin C that works by making your scars go away. Apparently, it is most effective against newly-healed area and doesn’t work well with old scars.
To use Indian gooseberry against scars, here’s what you can do:
- Mix one tablespoon of Indian gooseberry powder with half teaspoon of water or olive oil until it forms into paste.
- Add more if needed.
- Massage the paste into the affected area and leave it on for 10 minutes.
- Rinse with water.
Or you can try this other home remedy, which is also a favorite in removing scars in your skin.
Make Your Own Cucumber Paste: Say Goodbye to Scars that Won’t Go Away
You might think that cucumbers are only to remove eye bags. It turns out that it could offer more than that. In case you are looking for a safer alternative so you can finally say goodbye to scars, then add cucumber in your list.
You might ask why.
Cucumber contains vitamins A and C, and magnesium – important nutrients your skin needs to keep it healthy. It is also naturally hydrating, thereby maintaining moisture in your skin. Simply apply thin slices of cucumber on your scarred skinand let it stay for 30 minutes. Rinse your skin with cool water after.
Make sure you do this regularly to enjoy cucumber’s hydrating benefits – and say goodbye to scars in no time.
Cocoa Butter: A Not-So-Surprising Remedy to Help Get Rid of Scars
One of the popular ways to remove stretch marks is by using cocoa butter creams. Aside from stretch marks, this ingredient is also effective in reducing the appearance of scars on your skin.
What’s with cocoa butter?
It turns out that this ingredient is an excellent moisturizer because of its ability to penetrate deeply into your skin. This helps heal scars and keeps your skin moisturized. Consequently, applying cocoa butter promotes growth of new skin tissues and replaces the old, damaged ones.
If that’s not enough to convince you, cocoa butter is also rich in vitamin E, an important component to repair damaged skin.
Cocoa Butter for Scars
- Apply cocoa butter on your scars and massage it gently on your skin in circular motion.
- Leave the cocoa butter overnight and rinse it the following morning.
- Do this everyday until the scars fade.
Aside from scars, cocoa butter works excellently against stretch marks too. If this doesn’t work, then you can try this other home remedies against scars.
Consider Sandalwood in Removing Scars on Your Skin
This may not be a popular choice, but sandalwood could do a lot for your skin. In fact, it has soothing and skin-regenerating properties that help reduce the appearance of scars.
Here’s how it could help you against scars:
- Mix equal parts of sandalwood oil and any carrier oil of your choice.
- Dip the cotton ball on the mixture and apply it on the scar.
- Let it stay for 30 minutes before rinsing with warm water.
- Do this twice a day.
Keep Your Skin Healthy by Choosing Your Food Wisely
The above home remedies could help you a lot in reducing, if not eliminating the appearance of scars. Apparently, it doesn’t end with application alone.
This is where the importance of healthy diet comes in.
The truth is there are vitamins and minerals your body needs not only to enable you to function properly but also to ensure that your skin is healthy. Some of these important nutrients for healthier skin are:
- Vitamin C – It helps close the wound and speeds up the healing process.
- Vitamin E – Aside from being a skin vitamin, vitamin E helps in healing your skin and limits the development of scar.
- Protein – This component helps rebuild your skin and limits scar development.
On your next trip to the grocery, make sure you had these on your list and cart:
- Unsalted nuts like walnuts and almonds
- Wheat germ
- Olive oil
- Green leafy vegetables
- Fresh fruits
It may not seem a lot, but adjusting your diet could help you in saying goodbye to scars.
Here’s the good news: you can save yourself from having to do these scar removal techniques by preventing scars from making an appearance on your skin in the first place.
Proper Wound Care and Preventive Techniques to Minimize the Appearance of Scars
Scars are permanent, but this doesn’t mean there is nothing you can do about it. Thankfully, there are ways available to help you prevent scarring.
Check out these tips on proper wound care to prevent scars from forming:
- Wash the affected area with mild soap and water at all times to keep the injury clean.
- Keep the wound moist to promote faster healing of wound.
- Apply petroleum jelly on the affected area and cover it with a non-stick bandage for small wounds, and silicone gel sheets for large and deeper cuts.
- Change your bandage regularly.
- Massage the area to prevent raised scars.
- Get stitches and seek medical help for your wound whenever necessary.
- Once the wound is healed, apply sunscreen to reduce discoloration and help the scars fade faster.
- Avoid the sunlight, at least until your wound has healed.
Doing these simple tips could help you a lot in minimizing the possibility of scars.
The Most Important Tip to Remember
They say patience is a virtue. When it comes to scars, you should live by these words. Keep in mind that these techniques on how to remove scars may or may not work for you. Choose one option at a time, give it a try, and see how it works. If you found a solution that works, then stick to it. Nevertheless, the results may not show immediately, so be patient.